Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How do I make my website look right in all browsers?

I decided to change my website around and use div.

In doing this I successfully managed to get it to look right with my AT%26amp;T Yahoo browser.

Unfortunately, when I checked with a couple of other browsers (firefox and safari) nothing was aligned properly.



Does anyone know how to fix this so that my website looks correct in all browsers?How do I make my website look right in all browsers?
Unfortunately, %26lt;div%26gt;'s do NOT work properly on AppleWebKit engine (Safari, Chrome), although they say they do. Position, width, height, left, right, overflow do not appear to be implemented in Webkit. (%26lt;div%26gt;'s are not even COVERED in their specification!)

There are also problems with element backgrounds: some browsers respond to background='mypic' (argument), other only to style (background-image: url('mypic')... You have to use both.

Same with ALT on images: works on IE, nowhere else: you must use alt='text' title='text' etc, etc, etc...



Three ways to manage it:

- Make a %26lt;table%26gt; that contains %26lt;div%26gt;

- Write two different pages, detect webkit and download the right one

- Use a lot of conditional statements (if IE, else if FF, else if Webkit...)

To be honnest, I design complex applications and, after trying with %26lt;div%26gt;'s for the last two years, I came back to tables on a liquid layout: they work on ALL browsers.

W3C suggest to use %26lt;div%26gt;'s and styles, and are already at CSS3.

Unfortunately, webKit is 10 years behind! (Why Google decided to use AppleWebKit for Chrome is beyond me: of the seven engines available, webkit it is the worst web engine of the marketHow do I make my website look right in all browsers?
It is hard to get it looking perfect in all browsers (especially Internet Explorer). Your code has to be really clean. There are certain things you can do to make it more browser friendly. I cant see your code so I cant really tell you what is wrong but here are some good sites that can help... http://w3.com ... http://www.lynda.com and more tips and links on http://yourwebsiteassistant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment