Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How do I make changes to my website using Dreamweaver ?

I see that there are a couple errors on my website.

Since l published my website I have reformatted my computer causing me to have to reinstall Dreamweaver.

Now when I go to manage sites, my website is gone from the list. Can someone please tell me step by step how I can make changes to my website now. I have all my website folders saved on a external hard drive.How do I make changes to my website using Dreamweaver ?
That sucks, rebuilding from scratch.....at least you have the files.



Okay, so first things first, you need these credentials to talk to your server.



FTP address,

Username,

Password,



Next open dreamweaver, click on the sites manager and add one. Use the credentials above, link to an empty NEW folder on your computer somewhere. Finish this part up...



Now you still haven't moved any files........and when you connect, you get all of your website to download right into it's working folders......



The only thing you have left to do is replace the template folder and some other stuff from the archive. Remember to grab any photoshop, fireworks, flash, or other files you use to manipulate graphics, movies, etc. Take note of the folder structure in the archive.



Now make the new set of folders look like the old. Add a templates folder, drop the template in, add all your other stuff, and Voilla.



You are done. Your back in control of your custom website.



Some users wish to control the FTP a bit more.

If you don't want Dreamweaver handling the upload/download process, just don't give it the credentials. I prefer to use something like SmartFTP, or one of it's free competitors so I can move around photos, videos, and such more freely. http://www.smartftp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment