Monday, November 22, 2010

How long does it usually take nameserver changed to work for all my website members?

If I change my website's nameservers from say:



ns1.123.com

ns2.123.com



to



ns1.abc.com

ns2.abc.com



How long would the changes take before I can be reasonably assured all my website viewers are seeing the ns2 version? Also what if I change the IP address asigned to each ns. thank youHow long does it usually take nameserver changed to work for all my website members?
It depends upon the TTL (time to live) set for the domain in the previous nameservers. That determines how long other nameservers cache the data instead of fetching it every time. For example no-ip.com has a TTL of 600 seconds (10 minutes) for dynamic DNS that I used to give my dynamic DSL IP a static name.



Yahoo.com has a TTL of 172800 seconds (2 days) which is fairly common. If DNS is temporarily lost there is another setting to hold onto cache data for a longer time, like a week. But hopefully everything for your domain changes will be working smoothly within a couple of days.How long does it usually take nameserver changed to work for all my website members?
Most hosting services will tell you 24 hours. It may be more or less but that's a good rule.
  • advise for investment banking
  • home theater
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment